Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2001:
[linux-help] Re: setting up sound

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: setting up sound
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 12:08:10 -0500

Thanks everyone.

Anne wrote:
> What brand of sound card do you have and is it an ISA or PCI?

It's a Creative Labs SB32pnp.  - isa.

JamesI wrote:
> Are you including the proper kernel (rh usually links to /usr/src/linux/ )

The new kernel - 2.2.18 - is in /usr/src/linux/.

Nate Bargmann wrote:

> I can clarify this a bit.  It doesn't matter where you untar the source
> tarball and compile the packages.  I build everything in ~/src and then
> use the su command to get root privilege to do the actual install.  When
> you first run the configure script, feed it the option --help.  This
> will give you several screenfuls of output which you should be able to
> scroll back through with the Shift+PageUp key combination.  You will see
> a --prefix option which controls where the ALSA files are installed
> along with more options on what cards to build for and what support,
> such as OSS, is built as well.

I'm not sure what ~/src means.  There is no /home/bruce/src/ directory
on this box.  Should there be?

--prefix indicates that everything would be installed in /usr/bin, /usr/sbin,
and several other /usr subdirectories.  In looking through them, I can't find
anything that looks like alsa files, so I guess it didn't install anything.
Probably since the make didn't finish.

In digging around, I found a file called INSTALL-awe, which gives about
two pages of special instructions for the sb32.  Hopefully, this will be
incorporated into a later version of asla.  We'll see.

> Keep plugging away, and ask questions!

Right!