Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2001:
[linux-help] Re: setting up sound

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: setting up sound
From: "gLaNDix" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 12:17:03 -0500

You Wrote:

> I'm not sure what ~/src means.  There is no /home/bruce/src/ directory
> on this box.  Should there be?

no, basically he means that if you wanted to untar the source tarballs
into /home/bruce/i/am/an/elite/hacker you could! : ^ )  where you untar
the source and build *from* doesn't matter... where you install *to*
matters...

> --prefix indicates that everything would be installed in /usr/bin,
/usr/sbin,
> and several other /usr subdirectories.  In looking through them, I can't
find
> anything that looks like alsa files, so I guess it didn't install
anything.
> Probably since the make didn't finish.

actually, most likely everything was installed in /usr/local/bin,
/usr/local/sbin/, /usr/local/lib, etc, since that is (usually) the default
behaviour of apps compiled from source...  if you are using Red Hat
(sorry, i can't recall if you said which distro you use) and it's been
overnight since you last tried, you can do a 'locate alsa | grep -v balsa'
or 'locate asound' ...  this will find any of the alsa files that were
installed (most have alsa or asound in their name... the reason for the
'grep -v balsa' is so when you search for alsa, you don't also get results
of the name balsa, which is a completely unrelated piece of software)...

> In digging around, I found a file called INSTALL-awe, which gives about
> two pages of special instructions for the sb32.  Hopefully, this will be
> incorporated into a later version of asla.  We'll see.

the sad thing is...  when i first tried out alsa (back around kernel
2.0.3[5|6]) the install was atleast twice as hard as it is now...  i had
to lurk for quite some time on the alsa mailing lists before i ever got
the right configuration for my /etc/modules.conf file...  boy was i glad
when alsaconf came out! : ^ )

 Jesse (gLaNDix) Kaufman
 glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 http://lloydix.2y.net

<<< FreeBSD lloydix.2y.net FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #1: Tue Aug 14 02:48:31 CDT
2001  glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/src/sys/compile/LLOYDIX  i386 >>>