Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2001:
[linux-help] Mail server basics

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Mail server basics
From: Nathan <ncozzens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 06:29:13 -0600

Hello,

I've finally got my Linux box up and running on its
own bridged static IP.  I was able to get ProFTP
working nicely.  Now I want to setup a mail server,
but I think I'm a little fuzzy on some of the basics.

I was just on dhs.org getting setup with their static
host service.  They were asking for an MX
Exchanger.  DHS kept giving me errors until I entered
the smtp server of my ISP.  Can't I totally bypass my
ISP's mail servers by setting up my own?

What do I need on my server?  I know I want an IMAP
server, but that's for incoming only, right?  Will I
need an SMTP server to to accept the mail and move it
into the IMAP server?  Is that what sendmail and qmail are?

I appreciate your instruction.

Nate