Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Mail server basics

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mail server basics
From: "gLaNDix" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 22:50:22 -0500

> You can probably find webmail servers that do both, though I'd expect that
> ones that read the file directly are more common.

strangely, IMAP ones are most common, followed by POP3... only found a few
that use the mbox...

> If you're going to be using an IMAP-based mail reader, I'd suggest an
> IMAP-based webmail server as well because of the way it handles the file.
> (I can't recommend any though.)

i agree...  i currently use JAWmail...  very feature-full and even supports
my non-existant PDA or internet-enabled cellphone! : ^)

> Hum... where are you reading that Sendmail is insecure?  I can't recommend
> anything else because that's all I've needed to use.

i agree...  1.) sendmail comes as the default mailer daemon on almost all
linux distros and unix flavours...  wonder why? : ^ )
2.) sendmail has been able to cover everything i've ever needed to do and
has done the same for every other company i've know that uses linux/unix as
their server OS
3.) imho (many will disagree) sendmail is easier to setup then a lot of the
others, and usually has 2x+ the options!

> individual users within a single site.  (Because of their security
> precautions to deal with virii, if I want to send mail to the guy in the
> cube next to me, it goes out to a server in some other state before being
> sent back to the local Exchange server.)

a great solution a friend of mine is using at Tabor is RAVmail, an antivirus
software you can install for quite a few *nix-based OS's as a "plugin" of
sorts for quite a few mailer daemons (and windows ones as well, i
believe)...  was really easy to setup and seems to be quite robust... it's
avail from www.ravantivirus.com iirc, but searching for 'ravmail' on google
will surely find it...

gLaNDix