Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Mail server basics

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mail server basics
From: Nathan <ncozzens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 20:18:59 -0600

At 08:51 AM 8/31/01 -0500, you wrote:

> > What do I need on my server?  I know I want an IMAP
> > server, but that's for incoming only, right?  Will I
> > need an SMTP server to to accept the mail and move it
> > into the IMAP server?  Is that what sendmail and
> qmail are?
>
>Sendmail will do what you want.  (Although moving
>"into" the IMAP server
>is probably an inaccurate term... normally your SMTP
>server is just going
>to deliver mail to your standard Unix mailbox, where
>it can then be
>accessed by POP, IMAP, or any local utility (Pine,
>Elm, etc.))

This is the kind of info I need.  So the mail actually
resides on and belongs to Linux, and the IMAP server
just accesses it?  I'd also like to have some sort of
webmail server.  Does that also access the email
directly from the OS, or is it laying on top of the
IMAP server?  Anyone have any favorite webmail software?

Do I really need Sendmail?  Is Sendmail an SMTP
server, or what is it exactly?

 From the reading I've been doing, Sendmail is
considered insecure.  Any other flavors that are
considered more secure, but aren't the spawn of Satan?