Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Debian Package Installation

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Debian Package Installation
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:30:05 -0500

On Friday 08 June 2001 07:22, Nate wrote:

> I'm a fledgling Debian user.  All installing I've done
> so far has been through dselect.  Now I'm trying to
> get an MP3 encoder.
>
> 1.  Does anyone know of any MP3 encoders that are part
> of the package?  I've installed 12345, but I think
> that's just a front end to a lot of different
> apps.  I'd like to get my hands on lame.
>
> 2.  I've downloaded a .deb file of notlame.  Now that
> I've got the .deb file, how do I install it?

Can't help you much with Debian, but...

I noticed another thread where it looked like your deb didn't work. Why not
just grab the source and build it yourself? I installed lame on a Mandrake
7.2 machine last week and had to do that 'cause I didn't find an rpm for it.
It's easy to build and it works great.

Greg