Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Debian Package Installation

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Debian Package Installation
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 02:33:17 -0500

>I'm a fledgling Debian user.  All installing I've done
>so far has been through dselect.  Now I'm trying to
>get an MP3 encoder.
>
>1.  Does anyone know of any MP3 encoders that are part
>of the package?  I've installed 12345, but I think
>that's just a front end to a lot of different
>apps.  I'd like to get my hands on lame.

It doesn't appear there is an mp3 encoder for potato, but I'm sure there
are plenty of options out there. Someone else might have suggestions, and
you can always search at freshmeat.net for a deb, rpm (via alien), or just
from the source.

>2.  I've downloaded a .deb file of notlame.  Now that
>I've got the .deb file, how do I install it?

dselect is actually a user friendlier front-end for dpkg. See the man page
for dpkg, particularly the examples at the end.

dpkg -i package.deb

John