Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Which kernel?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Which kernel?
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 18:06:48 -0500

Root/Great Overall Dictator replies:

Of course, it depends on what you are doing (which drivers)
I have used 2.4 since the -test2 (pre-release) and not had many problems at
all, (with the kernel, rh7 was a different story) except for the new way
insmod works. (You have to either move/copy the modules from
/lib/modules/2.4.x/kernel/drivers/* to /lib/modules/2.4.x/ to get it to work
with older insmod/modprobes)
However, in my opinion, if you want to use some new stuff (USB, firewire,
video4linux, and several other things) it is better to use the 2.4 kernel
series, as even the USB backports are not up to date with any bug-fixes, new
features, etc. (USB is from 2.4.1 or earlier I think, anyone know?)
From personal experence, 2.4 runs faster on an smp system.

In your case, I however, would reccomend 2.2.x because you aren't currently
running anything it wouldn't support, (if 2.0.36 does) and that still is the
standard era kernel.

James L

ps to The conservative people, come on, help us find bugs, if it isn't
bugfree :)