Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Which kernel?

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Which kernel?
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 23:23:12 -0500

Right now, most conservative people are running a late 2.2 system, as 2.4 seems
to have more than it's fair share of bugs. 2.4 also requires some serious
updates to your tools as it has some major changes "under the hood".  Debian
"Potato" does not support the 2.4 kernel out of the box, but there are packages
availalbe if you wish to run it.  Some of the "neater stuff" like USB has been
backported to the 2.2.19 kernel.  2.4.x has better support for multiple
processors, and has reiser file system support, IIRC. Unless you have a
compelling need, I'd probably stick with 2.2.19 and wait for 2.4.x to settle
down a bit.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx