Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Redhat

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Redhat
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 21:47:22 -0500

On Wednesday 09 May 2001 09:17, you wrote:
> I am new to Linux and am very intrigued.  I have loaded Redhat on my old
> computer ( Compaq Pentium 200MHz + MMX ) it works Fine I tried to load
> Redhat re-spin 7.0 "same version" on my new computer ( one I built 566
> Celeron ) with windose 98 & ME. Redhat won't run correctly I can  not see
> any words under the footprint menu and the screen looks very static'e. My
> question is will Redhat work with Celeron processor's and if any ideas as
> to what's wrong.

Linux/RedHat work just fine with Celeron processors. What it sounds like
you're describing is a graphical problem. It may have autodetected your video
card or monitor correctly. Configuring XFree86 (the graphical interface
package) is one of the most difficult tasks facing a new Linux installer. If
you're lucky, you have a well known video card and a monitor which can be
autodetected at system installation time. Unfortunately this isn't always the
case.  This is what you need to look into.

In the mean time, dump the graphical login and use the command line interface
to get it worked out. You can press <ctrl><alt><F1> to get a command line
login.

What kind of video card and monitor do you have? Perhaps someone on this list
is familiar with configuring them.

Greg