Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2001:
[linux-help] Wichita-area Roadrunner & DHCP & DNS [under Linux]

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Wichita-area Roadrunner & DHCP & DNS [under Linux]
From: Jerry <kannzas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 23:06:12 +4200

Howdy!

   I've been helping a friend get introduced to Linux, who happens
to have a high-speed cable internet connection through kscable.com,
your local Roadrunner system.   So I've just joined this list from
NE Kansas, hoping to pick up some local knowledge.   RR's implementation
of  DHCP  etc.  differ from place to place, and I didn't find anything
about it on the ACLUG web page  (or elsewhere, specific to Wichita).

Fortunately, login is not required, so that just leaves DHCP.

The Debian potato (2.2r2) Linux base system installer--if one says
"yes" to ethernet setup--puts in `pump' as the default DHCP client.
The `pump -R' command gave (IIRC) the error message "operation failed."
Replacing pump with dhcpcd resulted in success, except for DNS.   Of
course I explained how to put the numbers into /etc/resolv.conf, but
it should be done automatically.   I don't get much help from the
dhcpcd man page, except for the debug option `dhcpcd -d' which I'll
suggest at the next opportunity.   (dhcpcd is version 1.3  Perhaps we
should go on to the third option (dhcpclient) & maybe get it right?)
If anyone knows the best solution, it would be not only helpful to us,
but a really good thing to have on aclug.org and circulated to the
appropriate Linux doc maintainers.  It seems particularly difficult to
find good *up to date* info on the many local Roadrunner systems.

http://www.cox.com/kansas/cities/metrowichita/main.asp
http://www.cox.com/kansas/RoadRunner/whatisit.htm

According to their reputation, I've advised not to even mention
Linux to the local RR people.  I don't suppose this would change at all,
now that Time-Warner is part of the AOL megaconglomerate?

To fill in some details:  The ethernet card, Linksys Etherfast LNE100TX
version 4.1 came out August 2000 and requires the latest modules tulip.o &
pci-scan.o   But this was no problem, once I'd downloaded the headers to match
the potato default kernel and compiled whatever was the latest netdrivers.tgz
package from  scyld.com .  (What a great site!)
Also of course when I said DNS wasn't working, I meant that my friend reported
being able to get ping replies from faraway places, but only by number.

   Thanks for any info or suggestions,
      Jerry by the Kaw

           8-))#