Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2001:
[linux-help] Fwd: need help with ppp

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: carolyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Fwd: need help with ppp
From: cabrubak <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 01:32:31 -0600

I had a user email me with a problem, and since I wasn't sure what the
problem might be I'm forwarding it to the help list. Make sure you CC
her in any responses.

i am in redhat 6.1 box and have exhausted most of my help
sources and i remembered last night about you and aclug.  i was hoping
someone there could help me or whatever.  everytime i try to launch
ppp-on, i get the following:

/bin/ppp-on: /dev/ttyS1: Permission denied
exec: /dev/ttyS1: cannot execute: Permission denied

now, i got this error several times, then, suddenly, one time, it
worked.  i stayed connected for a few hours and then tried to ytalk
someone.  i started getting strange errors, something about neighbour, on
all my vc's.  i couldn't get rid of it long enough to find any pid
anywhere.  i had to reboot my computer to stop it.  ppp-on no longer
worked.  i would think this could be a symlink error, but i got the same
thing when the script was just sitting in /usr/doc/ppp-2.3.10/scripts
several times before it finally worked.  i checked the history on all my
vc's and only found the command ./ppp-on.  i'm on a 28.8 modem, and i
changed the second timeout in ppp-on-dialer to 60 seconds.  the time after
i did that, it connected.  i'm doing all of this as root.  any
ideas?  suggestions?  questions?   it's really
upsetting 'cause i've been at trying to fix it for several hours now, and
i simply don't have the knowledge to know exactly what i'm doing.

thanx

carolyn fugit