Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2001:
[linux-help] Communicating with Exchange server

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Communicating with Exchange server
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 01:18:45 -0600

The University of Kansas in their infinite wisdom has recently decided to
force all general student accounts to be moved from UNIX servers to
Exchange servers. While many students already use a web interface or
Outlook to check their mail, many other students prefer to telnet/ssh to
the UNIX servers from anywhere to check email. No server-side clients such
as pine/elm/mutt can obviously be used on an Exchange server, creating many
unhappy campers.

(The policy is apparently campus-wise, although the CS-related departments
are resisting. What do you bet M$ made a generous offer?)

I have no knowledge of Exchange other than it appears to use IMAP and SMTP
protocols to allow the checking and sending of email. Since I'm looking for
a project to work on in a class, I thought it might be fun and useful to
set up a UNIX/Linux system with pine/elm/mutt that would mirror the
contents of the Exchange mailbox locally when the mail client is started,
and allow pine/elm/mutt to access the copy. Any changes made to the local
mailbox such as deletion of messages could then be mirrored back to the
Exchange mailbox.

Does anyone have experience working between Exchange and Linux? Is my
solution overkill? I couldn't find that pine can talk to IMAP servers,
which is why I considered making the copy of the mailbox to the Linux.

Thanks,
John