Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Changing monitor

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Changing monitor
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:06:38 -0600

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, you wrote:

>               Tried Xconfigurator? Type that word
>               at the command line, choose your
>               monitor's & video card's specs when asked
>               and you're done, presumably...
Some other (not redhat mandrake? specific)

If not look at the monitor database (somewhere in /usr) and run xf86config
(run it and just ignore everything to find where the monitor database is then
ctrl-c it). It is a text based configuration, and the fastest if you know the
vsync and hsync rates of the monitor once you get used to it.

Another option is XF86Config. It is graphical, but Xfree 4.0(.0) didn't have
it ported yet. 4.0.1 has it. It also works with xinerma (mulitple graphics
cards/monitors) Pretty nice, but it has some problems sometimes.

offtopic- I figured out why XF86 4.0 didn't work on the Alpha. It wasn't
'supported' till 4.0.2. Which makes me ask the question-Why were there
binarys???

James L