Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: I forgot to mention.

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: I forgot to mention.
From: "Michael Holmes" <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:36:32 -0600

If it will help, I have slackware running on my laptop, I have a / dir, a
/boot dir, and a /home dir on my drive ( or should I say partitions, along
with a <swap> partition)  One mistake I've made is: I made a 1.5 gig windoz
partition and lilo crashed.  Linux must have something in the first 1024 meg
of the hard drive to boot with.  That is why I have a 20 meg /boot partition
as hda1 then a 2 gig partition for windoz and then linux in back. Once Linux
was up and running, it can go anywhere on the drive it wants, but when it is
first starting, it must be within the first 1024 meg.    When you made one
big fat partition and nothing else, it could boot right up front and put
stuff where it wanted.

Mike