Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: I forgot to mention.

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: I forgot to mention.
From: Jesse Kaufman <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 02:43:10 -0600 (CST)

bleh, redhat = standard???  not in my books!  i think the reason why it's
listed as "most standard" is because it's "most used" as far as commercial
developers / users are concerned...  as far as standards, it breaks quite
a few...  install apache by rpm on one machine, then install apache from
source on another...  COMPLETE different filesystem layout...  that's why
i like slack, since it tries much harder (or maybe it 100% does) adhere to
the file system standard (of which i cannot remember the name now! :^ )

i'm curious as to how the FS layout of slack compares to something like
*BSD, since i'm itching to give FreeBSD a try (as soon as i get a working
2nd comp)...

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Michael Holmes wrote:

> For all of the motion controller and data acquisition cards, the ones which
> produce linux drivers, all use Red Hat,  The explanation I was given, was
> Red Hat is the most standard of the versions.  I am not sure whether it is
> meant as most used or the most unchanged.  I am still young to linux.
>
> Mike

Jesse Kaufman                           |       WebSurf Internet Access
Administration / Web Development        |       www.websurf.net
glandix@xxxxxxxxxxx                     |       Ph: 316.945.7873
www.linuxfreak.com/~glandix             |       Fax: 316.946.9944
--

<<< Vim is a REAL man's text editor.  I don't know why anyone else would
    even bother with sissy programs like emacs, or even worse...  pico!  >>>