Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Debian/apt guru required...

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Debian/apt guru required...
From: Jeremy King <soapboxalpha@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:07:46 -0800 (PST)

I'm in the process of whacking mandrake off of all my
machines and replacing it with Debian.  A simple
gateway ipmasq server is working wonderfully.  But, on
my second box I spent a long time picking through the
dselect package list only to discover that neither
lilo nor grub really appreciate my current
partitioning scheme (this is my dual-booting game
box). I don't see any way of fixing the partition
table short of obliterating the debian install.  I
wouldn't mind doing this, but I really don't want to
repeat my effort going through the package selection
process a second time.

Is there a way that I can use apt to save a list of
the packages that are currently installed, reinstall
the base system, then use apt-get to reinstall the
files from my package list?

I don't mind reconfiguring the packages--it's just
that picking through thousands of packages in dselect
drives me nuts.

Jeremy