Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Linux Apps

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux Apps
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:17:02 -0600

I just read an article in Linux Journal on the Future of the Web.
In part he was discussing datbase pooling and php and he said that
"PHP's  system is perhaps the crudest because it provides neither a
standard base API,  nor a means for Database drivers to pool connection
automattically, nor a way for programmers to take advantage of those
connections"

You seem to be going towards embedded html. I know you've wanted purely
open source, but you said your on NT so you can't be pure, I've been
using jsp's and java servlets at work connecting to a MySQL (and
occasionly due to client needs) and access databases. It's a good
solution. Another one is Html::Mason which works with mod_perl under
apache.

Lars von dem Ast wrote:

> So, nobody's worked with Zope? I'm just a bit worried about having to
> slam pages back and forth everytime there's a bit of info that the
> server needs to know. Stand-alones are much better for standard data
> management tasks, but the free formatting of text/reports in Web pages
> is much better than stand-alones. Aw shucks, maybe I shouldn't worry and
> just go with Web. Sourceforge uses PHP, but they've also ran articles
> pro-Postgres, saying it beats mySQL in some critical areas. Is PHP,
> Zope, JSP etc. the death of Perl?
>
> Jesse Kaufman wrote:
>
> > Apache + MySQL + PHP would be my choice...  as steve said, PHP is very
> > easy to program with and has some very nice stuff builtin for MySQL and
> > PostgreSQL ....  after doing a bunch of stuff in perl for a site, i
> > decided to try out PHP and have been so impressed, i rewrote my webpage to
> > use PHP instead of Perl...  didn't take long at all, and it was MUCH
> > easier...
> >
> > as steve said, i'm not sure about security implications, however...
> > php.net has some great information and documentation on the language...
> >
> > --
> > Jesse Kaufman                           |       WebSurf Internet Access
> > Administration / Web Development        |       www.websurf.net
> > glandix@xxxxxxxxxxx                     |       Ph: 316.945.7873
> > www.linuxfreak.com/~glandix             |       Fax: 316.946.9944
> > --
> >
> > <<< Vim is a REAL man's text editor.  I don't know why anyone else would
> >     even bother with sissy programs like emacs, or even worse...  pico!  >>>
> >

> > On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Jeff Vian wrote:
> >

> >> You might try Apache and Mysql

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
President Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
L:  Imperial trouble, huh?  It'll cost you extra.
E:  All right.  What do you want?
L:  Something that everyone in the galaxy wants.
E:  Fine.  I'll do my best to get your name off AOL's snail mail list.
                                        -- ESR and Lan Solaris
User Friendly, 12/6/1998