Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Two drives in one

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Two drives in one
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:35:14 -0600

I ran into this once.. it was due to the disc controller in the 'PB'
machines... the story that I have heard is that 'PB' programmed the BIOS to
only see 'X' models of harddrives and not others even if the user tried to
enter in 'USER SETTING''

I ran into this on a 'PB' 486 system when I tried to upgrade the
harddrive... I was lucky to be able to call 'PB' and ask them what models of
harddrive would work with the Motherboard..  Now that 'PB' is no longer.. I
don't know where to point you to.

Maybe one of the third party drive control cards will work and you could
(maybe) disable the onboard controller??

--David