Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Serial data transfer -

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Serial data transfer -
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 19:51:08 -0600

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, you wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a program to move data between two Linux boxes via the
> serial port? RH-7 has a number of applications with cryptic names and I
> don't know where to start.

There are a number of serial file transfer applications available. Yeah, you
could probably figure out how to set up pppd or uucp, as others have suggested,
but it's trivial to use a serial program like kermit that will do file
transfers.

You could also use xmodem, ymodem, zmodem (pick any one, zmodem does the best
compression, I believe). The easiest way is to establish your link and login
with a terminal emulator like minicom, run the zmodem program to receive data
(rz) on the remote system, and then hit the file transfer option in minicom and
it'll run the zmodem program to send data (sz) to transfer the file. Much
easier (IMHO) then setting up a ppp connection.

As mentioned, you'll need a null modem cable, pretty much regardless of which
protocol you use.

Greg