Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Serial data transfer -

To: "'linux-help@xxxxxxxxx'" <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Serial data transfer -
From: "Wilner, Alden" <awilner@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:58:58 -0600

The short answer is "uucp."

The long answer is, this is a fairly complicated protocol, predating the
internet. Actually, it was the original basis of the internet, I suppose. It
takes a while to figure it out.

If no one else comes up with a better solution, I'd suggest going to
redhat's web site and searching on "uucp."  I did, and it got me here:
http://www.europe.redhat.com/documentation/HOWTO/UUCP-HOWTO.php3

At a glance it looks like everything you need is here -- if you're of a mind
to slog through it all. Otherwise you can wait for someone else to come up
with a better suggestion. But I'm pretty sure, once you get uucp working,
you can layer all sorts of other protocols on top of it, like ftp, nfs
mounts, rpc, and all that stuff.

Sincerely,
Alden Wilner -- alden.wilner@xxxxxxxx
"The Good Old Days were when you were too ignorant to know any better."
-- Oleta Adams