Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Serial data transfer -

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Serial data transfer -
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:42:13 -0600

Yes, I have a much better suggestion. =)

Use pppd.

Spend $10 on a null-modem cable, or $6 on a null-modem adaptor, and use
pppd.

Just create a PPP connection between the two PCs, then use FTP (or any other
protocol) to transfer the files.

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 09:58:58AM -0600, Wilner, Alden wrote:
> The short answer is "uucp."
>
> The long answer is, this is a fairly complicated protocol, predating the
> internet. Actually, it was the original basis of the internet, I suppose. It
> takes a while to figure it out.
>
> If no one else comes up with a better solution, I'd suggest going to
> redhat's web site and searching on "uucp."  I did, and it got me here:
> http://www.europe.redhat.com/documentation/HOWTO/UUCP-HOWTO.php3
>
> At a glance it looks like everything you need is here -- if you're of a mind
> to slog through it all. Otherwise you can wait for someone else to come up
> with a better suggestion. But I'm pretty sure, once you get uucp working,
> you can layer all sorts of other protocols on top of it, like ftp, nfs
> mounts, rpc, and all that stuff.
>
> Sincerely,
> Alden Wilner -- alden.wilner@xxxxxxxx
> "The Good Old Days were when you were too ignorant to know any better."
> -- Oleta Adams

Useless fact #9: Texas has the lowest number of electoral votes per
capita in the U.S. with one electoral vote for every 605,803 people.