Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2000:
[linux-help] Re: setting up gateway

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: setting up gateway
From: Nathan <ncozzens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:40:47 -0500

At 12:31 AM 10/12/00 -0500, you wrote:
On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 11:50:06PM -0500, Nathan wrote:
> I would like my Linux box (potato) to access the
> internet through my win9x box's modem.  So far, I've
> added a line to my "interfaces" file:
>
> gateway 192.168.0.13
>
> could I use a hostname there?
>
> The proxy software I'm using on my win9x box uses a
> nonstandard port for http (6588 instead of 80).  Why
> do they do that (sometimes 8080 instead of 80)?  How
> can I make my Linux box send its http requests to the
> port my proxy is listening on?

B/c if they used port 80 it would conflicth with web servers.

You need to set your browser(s) to use the proxy on that port. In Netscape:

Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Proxies, select "Manual Proxy
Configuration" and enter your proxy server information.

For Lynx you can edit /etc/lynx.cfg, or you can set the http_proxy variable
(in /etc/profile or ~/.profile):

export http_proxy=http://192.168.0.13:6588/

The standard port for ftp is 21, right? Is the same technique necessary for ftp, or is ftp different? My proxy software still wants to listen on 21 for ftp requests.

Nate