Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Unattended processes

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Unattended processes
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 09:34:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Nathan wrote:

> a rip and then terminate my telnet connection without
> terminating the cdparanoia process?  Or what if I

You need to use nohup.  When you log out of your telnet session (the
shell, actually) a HUP (hang-up) signal is sent to all of the processes
that are children of the shell.  A normal application responds to a HUP by
exiting.  The nohup program (man nohup) is a wrapper around your process
that causes it to ignore HUP signals, so it will continue to run in the
background after you log out.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
...and BTW, OTOH (FWIW), IMHO it's OK.