Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2000:
[linux-help] Re: smb.conf

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: smb.conf
From: Nathan <ncozzens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:09:18 -0500

I found a web site talking which pretty much hits the nail on the head. http://www.netspace.net.au/~bmiller/linux/NT-SAMBA-prob lem.html For now I used the option of making Win98 send unencrypted passwords over the network. That fixed the problem.
Thanks!

Eventually I figure out how to make Samba and Win98 talk encrypted to one another. DIAGNOSIS.txt says that the problem may stem from the use of Shadow passwords. That's all I could find on that though.

Nathan

Sounds like you've run into the infamous encrypted password problem. There's a way to tell the 98 machine to not encrypt it. I think it's a registry entry, but I don't remember the specifics. This is probably enough keywords for you to find the answer with a web search if someone else on this list doesn't give you
a more complete answer.

Greg