Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2000:
[linux-help] Re: smb.conf

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: smb.conf
From: Ryan Claycamp <claycamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:43:00 -0500

At 06:12 PM 9/19/2000 -0500, you wrote:
At 09:32 AM 9/19/00 -0500, you wrote:
At 07:40 PM 9/18/2000 -0500, you wrote:
I'm having trouble getting Samba to give me access to my Linux box from my Win98 box. I can see my Linux box in Network Neighborhood, but when I try to open it, I get a dialog box asking me to supply a password for the IPC$ resource. None of my passwords work. I've tried logging into my Win98 box with a username and password that coincides with my Linux box (nate). Didn't help. Any ideas?

Did you create a smbpasswd file? Samba does not read the Linux passwd file, but has its own passwd file. This does allow for you to have a different password for Samba than for Linux. The Debian distribution has a program called mksmbpasswd that takes your Linux passwd file and converts it to the smbpasswd format. Try 'man mksmbpasswd'.

My smbpasswd file was created as a part of my Debian installation. I've looked at it, and it shows the user name I'm trying to use....although I can't read the password since it's encrypted.

Here is a link to the Samba site, http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/DIAGNOSIS.html that walks you through a diagnosis of a Samba installation. I am not sure what else it could be.

Ryan
--
Visit the Guernsey Aviation web site: http://www.guernseyaviation.com/