Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2000:
[linux-help] Re: hub setup

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: hub setup
From: Lowell <lowell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:55:37 -0500

Jim Vetor wrote:

> These explainations to hook two computers together lack the main thing,
> information on what is needed and how to go about getting the job done. Not
> everyone knows how to do any of it. I would think your replies would be to
> help anyone who is interested in the topic being talked about and explain it
> from start to finish. Thanks to all who try and help, I enjoy reading what
> you have to say. Some times it is like some forget some of us are real new.
> Jim

        You mentioned "cable"; does this mean the TV cable service?
        If that is the case, there is a simple, but potentially more
        expensive way and a more complicated (and potentially slower
        in terms of bandwidth) way.
        1.) just obtain from your computer store of choice an ethernet
        hub (if you don't already have it) and two Cat 5 <PATCH> cables.
        Depending on how your hub is designed, you'll either need a
        third one or a <CROSSOVER> cable (looks identical unless you
        look REALLY close; wired different) When you go to buy your
        cables take the hub along and they can tell you by looking at
        it which one you need. Then you just plug them in the approp-
        riate holes in the hub and configure your browser accordingly.

        The reason this is (potentially) more expensive is that the
        cable companies are threatening to charge by the network add-
        ress, and set up this way you would have two addresses, one per
        machine. Here in K.C. they haven't started doing it YET, but
        they've sent letters about the possibility.

        2.)The more complicated way (as Steve Saner discusses in his
        reply) is to set up IPMasquerading by using one of the machines
        as a firewall/router; there is a LOT MORE to this way of doing
        things, and it precludes using one of the machines for much of
        anything but the router (I believe.) An alternative is a purpose-
        built router (also available from your reseller) but that's an
        additional expense ($150 or so) although it is perhaps the easiest
        to set up.

        The reason this is (potentially) slower is you divide the bandwidth
        of your (single) connection between your two computers; people who
        have discussed this on this and other discussion lists say you never
        notice this, so perhaps it's not a consideration.

        So, two possibilities; I read Mr. Saner's reply to your original
        message, and he makes a valid point or two. These lists are for
        voluntary discussion (I wondered about changing the name to [Linux-
        Help] when they did it) and those who answer messages tend to make
        some assumptions. They think the people who ask questions are at
        a fair level of accomplishment before undertaking the complexities
        of Linux, and therefore they answer only the hard parts of a question
        leaving the easy stuff "as an exercise for the reader." For example,
        I just read Phrostie's second response, and he reminded me that I
        still don't know for sure that you have ethernet cards in either
machine; they don't necessarily come with them.
        Which brings us to another point about your original message: details
        are very necessary if a person is to attempt to help long-distance
        like this. There have been BOOKS written about the nuts and bolts
        of setting up networking, even at this very basic level; the "how-
        to's" that the other posters mentioned are quite lengthy, as well.
        To get a consise answer (read "easy") requires a lot of detail in
        the question.

        Hope this helps...

"This guy would argue with a signpost!"