Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2000:
[linux-help] Re: NFS and installation on a laptop with no CDROM

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: NFS and installation on a laptop with no CDROM
From: "Lrs v.d.Ast" <mrprenzl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 16:38:37 -0500

spiff wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have acquired an older laptop without a CD-ROM.  I would like to install
> Debian on it.  I have a Debian box that does have a CD-ROM as well as a LAN
> set up to cover the transfer of files.  Can someone point me in the
> direction of getting this done as smoothly and easily as possible?  I have
> sort of read through the howto on NFS, but it gets a bit confusing to me.
> In the past, I was simply working between the two systems by using the
> sendfile command, however, since I have recently purchased a new hard drive
> for the laptop, I am back to square one.  A hard drive with no OS, a slow
> modem connection via the laptop (14.4), and a CD-ROM that could somehow be
> accessible via the LAN.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Seth aka spiff

Are you sure you can't get an ethernet card for your laptop? I have
experience with an old Toshiba (8mb/200mb) and Caldera 1.1, but with
an ethernet PCMCIA card. Caldera's setup listed NFS, set up a PCMCIA
driver temporarily and went to it no probs. If you can't find one, I
guess I could loan you one. I plan on being at the ACLUG this Monday.

Larry Bottorff