Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Problem with INND system and system loggers

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Problem with INND system and system loggers
From: Jeff Schaller <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 06:36:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Bruce Bales wrote:

> When I boot my Mandrake 6.1 system, It takes about 2 minutes
> looking at "Starting System Loggers,"  then says OK.  Then
> when it gets to starting INND, it takes more than 2 minutes,
> then says OK.

Sounds like it may be sucking down the news feed. Since you're on
a cable modem, it takes slightly less than eternity to do it. As
far as why the System Loggers section takes so long to start up,
I'm not sure -- would you send the following snippets to the
list?:
1) ls /etc/rc.d/rc3.d   (or rc5.d if you boot up into a graphical
   login screen)
2) the output of 'dmesg' immediately after a reboot

> When I make a change to ifconfig, it shows me an error log
> with "INND took more than 15, seconds, odd."

And again.

> Other related error messages (maybe) show "deleted message
> SAA00xxx" or "deleted message RAA00xxx" where the x's are
> large numbers in the 700 to 800 range.

This is most likely innd saying that certain messages have expired
or been removed from the feed.

> I have never used internet news.

Then I would do as Clint suggests and remove the innd
package(s) from your system. A news /reader/ like nn, rn, or tin
is all you would need if you wanted to read internet news. Remove
those if you don't even want to do that.

-jeff
--
According to a recent Justice Department report, the number of jailed
Americans more than doubled over the past 12 years. What do you think