Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Connecting Roadrunner to Linux

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Connecting Roadrunner to Linux
From: bert <bert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:57:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Matt Alexander wrote:
> It is a 10Base-T network, but I only get the link light when I boot up and
> it is trying to "bring up interface eth0".  It is a new card, it should
> work, it worked before on a win98 box.
>
>                                   -Matt Alexander
>
> OK, can you describe the network to which you are attaching the card? Is it
> 10Base-T or Thinnet network? If it's a 10Base-T network, do you have a link
> light on the card and the hub when you plug in the cable with the machine
> on?
> Is this ELink III a new card, or was it bought used?
>
> ja

ok, so you boot this machine and get a link light. is the light on the
hub? or does the card also have an led?

you run ifconfig and only see lo

you run ifconfig eth0 up and run ifconfig again you see both lo and eth0

do you have a link light on both the card and hub now?

i don't know what the latest version of dhcpcd is.
i'm running 1.3.17, so there's probably something newer.
do you have the red hat cd? does it have dhcp & dhcpcd on it?

ok, bert