Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Sound problems in Redhat 6.1/6.2

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Sound problems in Redhat 6.1/6.2
From: Benjamin Bunck <bbunck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:27:51 -0500 (CDT)

I recently put together a new box, (RHL 6.2, Athlon 650, Abit KA7) and
have had some problems getting the sound to work correctly.

Essentially, here is the situation.  When I play a sound file (wav, mp3,
etc) either in KDE or console, a second or two will play.  Then suddenly,
the sound becomes a solid tone and the computer completely
freezes.  The odd thing is that the test sound that comes with sndconfig
seems to play okay, but the first high quality wav or mp3 I try
fails.  Since I'm starting from scratch, I went ahead and installed some
other Linux distro's.  RHL 6.1 had the same problem, but Corel worked
flawlessly.  I'd like to keep using RHL, so any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Ben Bunck