Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Routing sanity-check

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Routing sanity-check
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:32:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, j m wagle wrote:

> Not a very related question, but please tell me the advantages of
> using DSL from SWB and Southwind at internet provider?

SWBI is an unknown quantity.  I've been a customer of SouthWind for over
five years.  I know what their service is like.  I even know what their
weaknesses tend toward.  I don't know what SWBI is like... except that
right now I'm hearing they're having DNS problems.  I've never heard
anyone praise them for anything, which is almost as bad as hearing about
problems.

I prefer to get my Internet from the small guy... SWBI is a large,
faceless corporation in which I'm a drop-in-the-bucket customer.  Just in
trying to get my DSL line hooked up through them I got one representative
that rudely would not let the SouthWind rep stay on the line with me
during ordering the service.  Supposedly her supervisor backed her up.
We called back and got another rep who didn't care if the SW rep was on
the line with me.

SouthWind cares about Wichita and the surrounding area... they're a
city-wide provider, not a multiple-states-wide one.  Though they're owned
by OneMain, they're still run in Wichita by local folks.  (At least for
now... who knows what OneMain might do in the future.)

> I am not very bright and don't understand the advantages of either service.
> (Note: I only have a 28.8 modem and use Southwind as my ISP)

Beyond being a known quantity, I already have them set up as my secondary
DNS for my dedicated services.  It's much easier to move to another set of
IP's staying with SouthWind than moving to another company.  That won't be
a concern of yours, though.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Hey, I ran Windows the other day, and it didn't crash!