Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Routing sanity-check

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Routing sanity-check
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:06:47 -0500

When you upgrade service, they just charge a $39-or-so upgrade fee.  You may
be forced to renew your contract at that time (i.e. stay on for a year from
the time you upgrade)... but it doesn't break the contract.  At least not
according to what they told me when I asked :-)

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 10:28:45AM -0500, Clint A. Brubakken wrote:
> to put my 2 cents in:
>
> My DSL is installed tomorrow, and I'm going with SWBI, for 2 reasons:
>
> If you sign up before April 30, and you agree to sign a one year
> contract and use SWBI, installation ($200) and isp service is free
> ($10/month) after that year you still own the dsl modem, and can go with
> someone else but that a $320 savings, and as this is just a hobbyist use
> (ie I'm not making any money of it) that enough for me to use SWBI.
>
> Also we've used it at work for several months, with no real problems.
>
> It remains to be seen if I upgrade to the 6mb/5 ip option if that counts
> a breaking my contract
>

> j m wagle wrote:
> >
> > Carl:
> > thanks,
> > My son wants to get a 'DSL' line from SWB, but for now I will stay with
> > Southwind also.
> > mike wagle
> >
> > Carl D Cravens wrote:

> > > SWBI is an unknown quantity.  I've been a customer of SouthWind for over
> > > five years.  I know what their service is like.  I even know what their
> > > weaknesses tend toward.  I don't know what SWBI is like... except that
> > > right now I'm hearing they're having DNS problems.  I've never heard
> > > anyone praise them for anything, which is almost as bad as hearing about
> > > problems.
> > >
> > > I prefer to get my Internet from the small guy... SWBI is a large,
> > > faceless corporation in which I'm a drop-in-the-bucket customer.  Just in
> > > trying to get my DSL line hooked up through them I got one representative
> > > that rudely would not let the SouthWind rep stay on the line with me
> > > during ordering the service.  Supposedly her supervisor backed her up.
> > > We called back and got another rep who didn't care if the SW rep was on
> > > the line with me.
> > >
> > > SouthWind cares about Wichita and the surrounding area... they're a
> > > city-wide provider, not a multiple-states-wide one.  Though they're owned
> > > by OneMain, they're still run in Wichita by local folks.  (At least for
> > > now... who knows what OneMain might do in the future.)

> > > Beyond being a known quantity, I already have them set up as my secondary
> > > DNS for my dedicated services.  It's much easier to move to another set of
> > > IP's staying with SouthWind than moving to another company.  That won't be
> > > a concern of yours, though.

> > visit http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi
>
> --
> Clint Brubakken
> Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
> President Air Capital Linux Users Group
> Wichita, KS
> cabrubak@xxxxxxx
> ---
> "So I decided that if the architecture is fundamentally sane enough, say
> it
> follows some basic rules like it supported paging , then I would be able
> to say,
> yes, Linux fundamentally supports that model."

> [...]

Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and
years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the
worst movies in the history of the world.
     -- Dave Barry