Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Setting up a mail server

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Setting up a mail server
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:26:40 -0500

Well, from what I understand from an NT expert friend of mine, you
should crumple up the Exchange client and throw it out the
window. Apparently it doesn't even work right with Exchange Server. He
said that one should use Outlook or Outlook 98 rather.

Now, to your question. A mail client like the above mentioned, use the
MAPI protocol to communicate with the Exchange Server. The mail stays
on the server and is accessed via the clients using MAPI. As far as my
friend and I are aware, there are no ports of a MAPI server to
anything Unix. If you want to simulate something like this with a Unix
server, you should set up an IMAP server and then use an IMAP client
(Outlook Express is one such option). This will keep the mail on the
server and let you access your mail from multiple
workstations. Another option would be to simply set up a POP server,
but then you actually download the message from the server to the
workstation. As for attachments, I think either of the two options
should work okay.

Of course, you could convince your clients that email was never
intended to be a file transfer mechanism, and attachments are
evil. Everyone should run a shell session on the unix server and
access their email with mutt. Of course that is my opinion, I could be
wrong. (apologies to Dennis Miller).