Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2000:
[linux-help] Re: disk surface problems?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: disk surface problems?
From: phrostie <phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 13:40:21 +0000

I've been wondering the same thing.
my hard drive has been acting up lately.
i manually run e2fsck that will solve the immediate problem,
but can e2fsck fix disk problems or just file system
problems?

in the mean time i've backed upall my personal stuff to an
old 350 meg drive.

j m wagle wrote:

> I appologize if this is the wrong place to post a question.
> I seem to have a problem (random) and it may be due to my disk (a
> no-name 3 year old  3 gig hard drive).  I tried my dos version of
> Norton and was asked to 'update the incorrect partition info'  -- i
> declined the offer).  My question: Is there a 'surface
> inspection/correction' program, (or method?) for Linux?
>
> I am using Redhat 6.0 and every once in a while Xwindows 'locks'
> up.  I have replaced memory (64meg) and so I am suspecting some swap
> space error.
> thanks in advance,
> mike wagle, wichita ks

phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Oh I've slipped the surly bonds of dos
and danced the skies on LINUX silvered wings.
http://www.cottagesoft.com/~phrostie/cad-tastrafy