Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2009:
[gopher] Re: gopher and IPv6

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: gopher and IPv6
From: usenet@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:09:55 +0100

Am Freitag 16 Januar 2009 08:09:10 schrieb Cameron Kaiser:
> > after some tries to enable public access to my home gopher reliably
> > (read: without NAT and other evil stuff), i'd like to set up an IPv6
> > gopher. But: i haven't yet managed to have any gopher daemon bind to an
> > IPv6 port yet. What i tried so far is: GoFish and pygopherd.
> > Anyone did this before? Or is there a gopher server that runs from
> > xinetd? Have until now only tried standalone servers (the two named
> > above).
>
> bucktooth will happily run in either environment. I haven't really tested
> it in IPv6 however (grumbles at upstream).

Well, as far as i can tell right now, bucktooth happily serves gopher over
IPv6 both on IPv6-only machines as well as on dual-stack boxes. Configuration
of xinetd is a tad, umm, unintuitive as i had to find out.

>       gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/buck
>
> > Oh and BTW: anyone run across a Veronica and/or a HOWTO on maintaining
> > it?
>
> I was pretty sure there was a local veronica around, but I don't know where
> it went. I could have sworn hal3000.cx had it, but Veronica-2 doesn't have
> it and checking myself didn't come up with it.

Umm, to be honest i didn't think of a local one...
Was rather thinking along the lines of another public veronica indexing the
whole gopherspace like the one at floodgap.

greetings,
Florian