Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2009:
[gopher] Re: gopher and IPv6

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: gopher and IPv6
From: usenet@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:55:52 +0100

Am Samstag 17 Januar 2009 23:34:38 schrieb Cameron Kaiser:

> > > bucktooth will happily run in either environment. I haven't really
> > > tested it in IPv6 however (grumbles at upstream).
> >
> > Well, as far as i can tell right now, bucktooth happily serves gopher
> > over IPv6 both on IPv6-only machines as well as on dual-stack boxes.
> > Configuration of xinetd is a tad, umm, unintuitive as i had to find out.
>
> Does it properly report source addresses in the log file? I am encouraged
> to hear that it operates, however.
>
> Once my ISP offers me IPv6, I intend to do more testing with it.

Even though most ISP don't offer IPv6 yet, it's actually quite easy to get
IPv6 access by means of tunneling. The folks at sixxs.org are quite cool at
that too. It's really simple, even i managed it ;-) After signup (don't
worry, the service is completely free of charge) you'll get a tunnel, and
after one or twoo weeks uptime of that tunnel you can successfully get your
own /48 subnet routed over that tunnel
.
> > > I was pretty sure there was a local veronica around, but I don't know
> > > where it went. I could have sworn hal3000.cx had it, but Veronica-2
> > > doesn't have it and checking myself didn't come up with it.
> >
> > Umm, to be honest i didn't think of a local one...
> > Was rather thinking along the lines of another public veronica indexing
> > the whole gopherspace like the one at floodgap.
>
> I think the local veronica *can* be configured for wider use. I have not
> released my source for Veronica-2 mostly because it's still in flux; I'm
> still working on parallel crawling (fun with database locks YAY!) and the
> code is not, shall we say, a paragon of organization. I've been promising
> to release it for years and I will, but when I'm satisfied with it :)

Now just think of parallel crawling with crawlers being located at different
places all over the earth ;-) Now, this would be a tough one with regard to
databases...

> However, I seem to remember Chris saying that local-veronica could be made
> to crawl other sites than its home one.

Ah, okay, will have a look then.

Greets,
Florian