[gopher] released: mgod 1.0

To: gopher <gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gopher] released: mgod 1.0
From: Mate Nagy <k-zed@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 21:19:52 +0200

Hulloh,
 announcing: mgod 1.0
 Major changes since previous versions:
  - Gopher+ support removed (\t$ selector detection remains, behaves
        similarly to the gopher.floodgap.com server)
  - Removed original support for search processors; now only the new
        "dirproc"-style method remains (which I developed for gopherchan).
        This is a lot neater, and allows entire directory trees in your
        gopherspace to be programmatically generated.
  - Added check for access permissions. (Files and directories that
        don't have the readable by all bit set don't get served.)
  - Better file type classification (by a table defined at the head of
        the .c, easily modified/extended)
  - Now it's possible to specify local links by directly writing a
        tab-separated menu line in the control file, with some fields
        missing (like in bucktooth). Gopherglobbing isn't directly supported
        (but I think it should be easy to simulate by a !proc <shell code>
        external processor call)
  - Source code smaller and somewhat neater, striving towards (but I
        suppose not reaching) the "suckless ideal"

 In general:
 mgod should be a possible choice if you have a linux box and would like
to have your gopher server to be as minimal as the protocol itself
(single C, compiles to a 41K elf with -g on an amd64 system).
 Runs from inetd. Some features:
  - dynamic content generation ("moles", but even parts of static menu
        files can be generated)
  - reverse and by mtime sort options (easy phlogging)
  - include mtime in menu descriptions option (easy phlogging)
  - support "include" command in control files
  - logging (can try to discover originating peer IP address from stdin
        socket)
  - no library dependencies (needs gcc and _GNU_SOURCE)
  - comes with a cgi app (also .c) that makes an easy HTTP gateway
        (with direct support for creating RSS feeds from menus)

 -> gopher://port70.net/1mgod

Regards,
 Mate