[gopher] update on #388195

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] update on #388195
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:18:16 -0700 (PDT)

At the risk of ruining all the fun lately over new protocol discussions ;-),
I have a progress report on the #388195 killer (i.e., the JavaScript
reimplementation of Gopher in Mozilla Core). This has taken longer than I
thought because Mozilla's house style is not my personal style, so I've had
to laboriously js-lint it all, and there will be several things in Overbite
that will not be ported to the core because I don't think they'll pass muster
and frankly I just want something in there. One thing I *am* going to do my
best to circumvent is the port != 70 problem with the internal whitelist, and
try to work in hURL support.

Anyway, today I got it embedded into my test version of Shiretoko Alpha 1 and
tested against floodgap and quux and a few others, and have a primitive
display. The appearance will be similar to the default appearance in Fx3
and will use the same style sheets to work in with the general overall Fx
integration scheme.

The idea is that OverbiteFF will continue to exist in parallel with the
special features and different appearance, plus the features vetoed by the
Mozilla muckymucks, so that "pro" Gopher users can get these features back.
But at least this will preserve Gopher support for casual users.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- BOND THEME NOW PLAYING: "All-Time High" from "Octopussy" -------------------