[gopher] Re: Fate of the Protocol (was Re: Gopherness)

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Fate of the Protocol (was Re: Gopherness)
From: "Avery M." <averym@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:05:15 -0400

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Jay Nemrow <jnemrow@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can't see your vision ever happening.  Gopher is essentially dead to
> nearly everyone, if they even knew it ever lived.  Apparently, we just
> never attended the funeral.

This is overly pessimistic. I maintain a gopher because I like the
undemanding nature of the protocol. Unlike HTTP, whose cognitive style
rewards distraction and skimming, Gopher gives you a decidedly
un-hyper text file and then it's done. I believe other people should
maintain gophers as well, and to that end this list is useful.