Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2008:
[gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:42:27 -0700 (PDT)

>  I would support a variation where we'd write off gopher+ as the
> complete failure it is, and just stick mime fields at the end of the
> menu records.

How would the statefulness problem be solved, though? I don't object to
this from a compatibility perspective, but it does make it impossible for
an arbitrary resource to be typed without knowing the menu it was referenced
from (which could be one of multiple menus).

If there's a workaround for this, I'm cool with that idea, but like I say,
not even HTTP enforces statefulness on clients (cookies and authentication
excepted, but they are not obligatory portions of the protocol).

For something like Overbite to use such a field, it would have to pass data
to itself using its own degenerate URL format, which means we're back to
square one (each instance of Overbite accessing the server preserves no
internal state, and managing such a thing with globals would be fraught
with thread synchronization problems). Can anyone think of a way around that?
If so, I'll support it.

>  Or maybe we could drop the menu format and move to XML, ha ha.

Evil. ;-)

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- BOND THEME NOW PLAYING: "Moonraker" ----------------------------------------