Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2008:
[gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions
From: "Jay Nemrow" <jnemrow@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:42:38 -0600

I am sorry that I am forking from the discussion, but I'm just
realizing something that might render all the good discussion moot
about how to form URLs.

No part of the URL is ever passed to the client.  Once a connection is
made with a gopher server, only menu entites, texts, or binary files
are sent by the server - no other information passes.  The client only
sends back a "magic string" (an RFC 1436 term) that is one of the
server selector strings, and the server gives back what the client
requested through the "magic string".  URL conventions are only used
in reference to the field that contains the name of the server in each
line of the menu entity and so building different URLs is pointless.

I think the convention set out in gopher+ is the better way to add the
mime extension, as an added tab field after the ones established by
RFC 1436.  All decently built gopher0 clients ignore anything on a
menu entity line between the port number and the <crlf>, so this is
where additional metadata (like mime types) logically could go without
breaking older clients.

If I am confused about what you all are talking about, I apologize,
but it seems we are barking up the wrong tree with URLs.

Also, if we are to deal with mime types at all, I am thinking that all
of them must be put under the 9 item type, no matter what, just to
keep old clients from breaking.  If you put a .doc file under the 0
menu type, the old client wants to dump that to screen as text and you
will see gibberish and probably crash things.  Everything that doesn't
fit into the established types will have to be 9 item types, as far as
I can see.

Jay