Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2008:
[gopher] Re: Gopherness

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopherness
From: Kyevan <kyevan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:15:48 -0500

Interesting, but there are three things that I have reservations or
questions about.

> - Putting "up" or "previous menu" items in menus which points into your
> personal "data island".

Often times, pointing back up a tree makes sense, even if that's not the
tree the user followed to get here. I think the issue is probably more
with the title than the idea of putting a link to a menu 'above' this one.

> - Adding an Endless Array of New Item Types for Every New Thing that
> Comes Along

The issue here is letting the client system (the entire computer system,
I mean, not just the code that talks to gopher) distinguish between file
types.

 > - Rendering Everything Else to a Handful of Established Types.

The problem here is that you're assuming all, for example, images are
equal. JPEG works pretty well for photographs or 3d renders of lifelike
scenes, but often makes drawings, charts, graphs, and the like unusable.
This is the easiest to see, but even text has this issue - ASCII is
incredibly simple and to be preferred for most English-language
documents ("dumb" quotes over typographical ones, for example) On the
other hand, what if you want to upload a text in the original language
when that language wasn't English? Even most of the closely related
languages have accents or the like, and then you go out to things like
Japanese... you can see how this is a problem.

- Kyevan