Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2008:
[gopher] Re: Gopherness

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopherness
From: "Matthew Holevinski" <eylusion@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:38:54 -0500

To Jay:

May I quote you?

"  This is what happens when how something
looks is much more important than content.  The modern world-wide-web is
increasingly content-free, more a springboard for advertisements and
snappy graphics or a cool interface. "

/me bows in humbleness

I couldn't of said it better myself. I have reached the limit of my
tolerance for all things
Googlesque, and increasingly corporate websites that have absolutely
no reason for
existence or better ones life 1 iota. Google must have the absolute
worst search engine
in the world. I believe I read this one article by a fella who listed
100 search engines I'd
never even heard of before and listed reasons why each one was better,
and after browsing
like 50 or so, I agreed on each note. Everything has become too
convenient, and coming from
and IT background when you try to make things convenient or
over-simplify software or resources
"like" Google, all you get is crap. So far I think I've only tried to
use Veronica once, and had no luck
finding 1 topic I searched for. But not knowing anything about
Veronica, and how it searches or how
a CSO operates, probably leads me to believe, that as of right now
Veronica is probably > me, and
being that I can Google just about anything (all completely
non-related to what I search for), logic
leads me to believe Veronica > me > Google. I don't know how that is
relevant, but I think
what I'm getting at is the content thing. What little gopher material
that is out there is all probably
more content packed than anything you will find using a website like Google.

!!Gopherness!!
Is something I think I like, where can I get a t-shirt or ball cap. I
don't want to be labeled as one of
those guys that wants to say gopher is better than everything else,
and wants to keep it for myself.
Which some days I am admittedly, but when you remember typing
uploading html 1.0 compliant
websites that you worked hard on all by yourself, now everyone has a
website with absolutely nothing
of any worth or value. Gopherness should remind people of simpler
times when data was fed to you in
text, small, quick, and efficient. If your attention span wasn't long
enough to read a 20 page dissertation
on George Washington's toenails, well then that was your loss. I don't
know if they exist but if I could find
or create a Gopher portal, that I could use to retrieve information I
was looking for, like sports scores I believe
was mentioned, or local weather forecasts, local events, or hell maybe
even a Gopher Conference news board.

Now that we are seeing machines with 4 processors each having 8 cores,
and 16 gigs of ram or whatever, it's
a shame it takes every bit of that to run say a simple web browser
which can easily take up a couple hundred
megs of memory at any given time depending on amount of tabs. I miss
the days of small footprints, streamlined
code, miniature applications, sleek and yet elegant information served
up quickly. Where have those days gone?

I can't take another banner ad, another pop up window, or another
voice-enabled flash advertisement telling I've won
not 1 but 2 free ipod nano's.

Ohh, and hey Cam, what are the details on that Vintage Festival, I
think that would be a blast.

Matthew Holevinski