Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2008:
[gopher] Re: Serving up gopher content via a wiki

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Serving up gopher content via a wiki
From: "Jay Nemrow" <jnemrow@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:34:04 -0700

I looked at GN, but I found it at cross-purposes to what I wanted to
do and actually a terrible complication to the gopher philosophy,
which I have always felt is dead-simple serving with the least amount
of maintenence possible.  I throw content onto my server's hard drive
and anyone can access it and it takes no time at all.

GN seems to be a bridge, trying to take what was gopher content and
bringing it into the WWW world.  I also looked at WN, which was the
follow-up to GN (and web-only), and the problem with both is their
administrative overhead.  There are several files to be maintained
(security feature as you must specify exactly what you want served)
and you have to mange both gopher and web views of things.  I really
liked the built-in search abilities and the simplified CGIish stuff,
but the process of actually adding new content required more steps
than I really wanted to deal with.  It looked cool for a bit of retro
server.

Pygopherd gets set up once (really easy on Debian) and then you just
upload content into folders, which is what I am after (along with the
ability to get to the content from any web browser).  Of course,
everyone uses Gopher for different reasons and there can be servers to
fit each need - Pygopherd is close enough to fit my needs well enough.

Another wonderfully simple server is mgod, which I was using for over
a year.  The only reason that I am not using it now is that it didn't
have a built-in http server like Pygopherd.

Jay