Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: June 2008:
[gopher] Re: UI design of the next new gopher client?

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: UI design of the next new gopher client?
From: "Nuno J. Silva" <nunojsilva@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:34:17 +0100

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:02:00 +0200
Mate Nagy <k-zed@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > And what about a tree?
> >
> > Today I looked at a screenshot from some mozilla build with an old
> > Gecko engine, which rendered gopher in 'tree-view':
> >
> > gopher://gopher.quux.org/g/Software/Gopher/screenshots/mozilla.gif
>  and how does that together with info lines?
>  (not very well, i presume)

If they're rendered, they could be rendered as tree nodes with no
childs and with some different icon, and in graphical clients the tree
could possibly be rendered using some monospace font, instead of the
usually used non-monospace fonts. There could be a keystroke to
show/hide them.

>  although you could display the path so far in one frame in a tree,
> and the current page (be it a dirlist or plain content) full form in
> another frame.

I think that is the best approach for a tree-based navigation gopher
client.

>  could look like the optional history tab.. sidebar.. thing in mozilla

In Firefox and Seamonkey, that would be the best place for the tree.

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
LEIC student at Instituto Superior Técnico

-=-=-
``Rats cry when they hear about my life.''
 -- Dilbert

-- File: signature.asc