Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: June 2008:
[gopher] Re: UI design of the next new gopher client?

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: UI design of the next new gopher client?
From: "Nuno J. Silva" <nunojsilva@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:16:16 +0100

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 01:19:49 -0400
"Avery M." <averym@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't think these ideas make good use of Gopher's major differences
> from the Web. Gopher is not hypertext; it doesn't need the
> "full-window box" arrangements we have for websites. Since Gopher is a
> hierarchy, I would imagine a series of columns, with the most recent
> list you viewed on the right, so that you can glance back at previous
> pages as you move through the links. Text, images, and HTML, of
> course, should get a full 80 columns-- perhaps they could be displayed
> in an adjustable panel beneath the hierarchy, like in e-mail.
> Something like this would be great for casual browsing:
>
>  ______________________________
> |_File___Help________________X_|
> | [1] Images     | [1] Fiction |
> | [2] eTexts --> | [2] Sci-fi  |
> | [3] Links      |v[3] README v|
> |==============================|
> | This eText library is a colle|
> | of Creative Commons and publi|
> | domain files published to Pro|
> | Gutenberg and other sources. |
> |______________________________|
> |_README_(Text_file)______800b_|
>
> Avery

And what about a tree?

Today I looked at a screenshot from some mozilla build with an old
Gecko engine, which rendered gopher in 'tree-view':

gopher://gopher.quux.org/g/Software/Gopher/screenshots/mozilla.gif

Something like:
 ______________________________
|_File___Help________________X_|
| [2] eTexts                   |
|   [1] Fiction                |
|   [2] Sci-fi                 |
|  >[3] README                 |
|==============================|
| This eText library is a colle|
| of Creative Commons and publi|
| domain files published to Pro|
| Gutenberg and other sources. |
|______________________________|
|_README_(Text_file)______800b_|

(And I vote 'yes' on tabbed-browsing. At least I like it and use it
(with http).)
--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
LEIC student at Instituto Superior Técnico

-=-=-
vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin
patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending

-- File: signature.asc