Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: June 2008:
[gopher] Re: Overbite "1.1" -- with Firefox 2.0 support

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Overbite "1.1" -- with Firefox 2.0 support
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:24:09 -0700 (PDT)

> I'm using it with Iceweasel 2.0.0.14 (Debian version of FireFox).
> Visually it is a great improvement on the standard Iceweasel/FireFox
> rendering of gopher pages, as to the lack of links I'd vote to keep
> the text plain - If the document authors had wanted hyper-links they
> would of used a format other than plain text wouldn't they?

This is kind of the same rationale I had in mind when I intentionally did
not use the standard Mozilla converter (and I don't like the way the Mozilla
code does linkification anyway). Still, there are conveniences of it and
Mate points out one, so it was just something for the list's consideration.
It would also allow wrapping the plain text in the standard "navigation"
interface, including the root-menu icon, which does have advantages for the
user. I'll keep on surveying the list, but right now the opinion seems to
be to let it ride for the moment.

I am also considering extending the visual interface so that gopher menus
hosted on a different server than the one the user is accessing are set
off in some way, like italics, perhaps.

> Question: When can we start talking in public about this (as I for one
> have a few questions I'd like to put to the Debian Iceweasel team
> about Overbite)?

I'd like a final word on whether I can get the JS backported into Core first
(and then it should "just appear" in Iceweasel as well -- though I am happy
to hear that the add-on "just works" with it and will put this in the notes).
Assuming the answer is no, which admittedly it probably will be, then I'll
press for it to be put in the release notes and then "go public." This will
probably happen when Firefox 3 final is released. At that point, go for it.
For now, I want to be strategic with public release :)

From a mechanics and licensing view, though, Debian should have no concerns
about Overbite since it is tri-license.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx