Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: June 2008:
[gopher] Overbite "1.1" -- with Firefox 2.0 support

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Overbite "1.1" -- with Firefox 2.0 support
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 22:35:58 -0700 (PDT)

As promised, there is now an Overbite for Firefox 2.0. If this works fine,
it will probably be used for the basis of a Camino 1.6 Overbite if Camino's
jump to Mozilla 1.9 is not forthcoming.

This version lacks a few features that are not available or do not work
properly in Firefox 2.0, namely, there is no initial brag window (I couldn't
get this to work reliably), and the default CSS is slightly different due to
changes in the rendering engine between FF2 and FF3. There are also some
internal adjustments.

I have preliminary working results on Windows 98 and Mac OS X 10.2.8 both
running FF 2.0.0.14, so I present it for your approval:

        gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/9/obff1118.xpi

If it works fine, please advise and it will be officially installed.

For Mozilla 1.9/Firefox 3.0 users, please pick up and test

        gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/9/obff1119.xpi

This is officially 1.1, although most of the changes are actually at the
pre-generation level and you should see little difference. I just want to
make sure it works. Assuming it does, there will then be a "source" release
with the Makefile, base .js/.css for the preprocessor and so on.

Also, a feature consideration. One thing I did change was to make text/plain
really honestly text/plain, not the text/plain -> text/html conversion that
Mozilla normally does. Do people want this back in a future version, or to
make it a controllable option (like render itemtype 0 link-ified by default
but have a button for "Raw text only")?

I promise to stop releasing versions so fast once this is settled and FF3 is
out; I just want to make as big an impression as possible when RC2 becomes
finalized (although they are now talking about an RC3 due to a showstopper on
OS X 10.5.3).

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- If Ted Kennedy had driven a VW, he would be President now. -----------------