Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2008:
[gopher] Re: Gophermaps and Moles

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gophermaps and Moles
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 19:35:33 -0700 (PDT)

> As I was setting up my gopher server [gopher://anglo-hexon.net] I put up
> this wikipedia page on gophermaps:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gophermap
> (mainly to sort out some things in my own head).  I'd appreciate any
> corrections or comments.  The content comes mainly from the bucktooth
> documentation and a couple old Usenet posts I found on Google.

This is correct, but also look at gopherglobbing, which is supported by
Bucktooth 0.2. See

        gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/buck/dbrowse?faquse%201a

> I'd also appreciate any pointers to more information on authoring moles.  I
> want to experiment some more with this concept but am having trouble finding
> anything specific enough thru google or veronica-2.  Thanks.

If you were recently searching, there was some database problem I was
trying to fix which should be rectified (just slower while a table rebuilds).

In any case, all a mole does is spit out RFC-1436 compliant lines to the
client (Bucktooth just exec's right into it), so you can have it send whatever
you want. Bucktooth gives it some extra environment variables documented
here:

        gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/0/buck/dbrowse?faquse%202

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- Humor is a drug which it's the fashion to abuse. -- William Gilbert --------